How To Get In The Holiday Spirit

by - Monday, December 11, 2017

Gift Wrapping

Every year I look forward to Christmas since Summer as it's my favourite time of year by a mile. However, sometimes I find my Christmas spirit dampened as soon as we hit December. I'm one who would love to go all out as much as I can, but I'm at a place in my life where that is not always possible. For the time being I'm also depended of what others want. As a child of divorced parents the whole thing for years now is that I alternate between both. That means that one Christmas I'll spend it at my mom's, and the next I spend it at my dad's place with my stepmom and the whole family there. My stepmom is arguably not the most festive person in the world, and so the years spending Christmas with my mom are usually the ones I look forward to more.

Over the years I have found that whichever parent I spend the actual holiday with, the Christmas period is only what I make of it. I'm in control of my own festive cheer. So this post is for you, the person who loves all the festivities, but often finds that others might dampen the mood, or if you simply want to give your Christmas period even more of a festive boost. It's not too late! Today I'm sharing my favourite things to do in the lead up to Christmas, and on the day itself, to be in charge of your own amount of festive cheer. Let's get on with it shall we!

  1. Planning. I love to plan. Whether it's for the following week ahead or making lists for Christmas gifting. I have found that the more I think about the good things about the Christmas period, the happier and more festive feeling I get and the more I actually want to get festive. Somewhere halfway through November I usually start planning Christmas packages to send, presents to buy, and festive activities I want to do. 
  2. Getting the tree. Whatever my plans are for the actual Christmas day, I always make sure I make a festive day out of getting the Christmas tree. Spruce the day itself up with baking something, drinking a hot chocolate or simply having a stroll around the Christmas decorations at the garden center. Festive spirit galore!
  3. Gift wrapping. Along with planning for Christmas, I love planning my Christmas theme. Give me all the Christmas wrapping, tags and ribbons and I'm one happy girl. Isn't it just great though to see your colourpalette and vision come to life? I live for making presents look as pretty as possible. For the ultimate festive feeling I like to make a cosy afternoon of it. 
  4. Decorating. All the decorations please! Once my room and the house entirely looks super festive I instantly feel more in the spirit myself. Ideally I like to have some sparkly lights up as soon as the days go darker and then go full out once Decemer arrives. Also candles. all the candles. Candles are decorative right?
  5. Have a stroll. When feeling a bit blue I love to have a stroll around town and find the prettiest Christmas lights. Sparkly lights always get me in the holiday spirit. Plus the fresh air always helps clearing your head. Of course, winter-y walks in a snowy landscape always work for this purpose, if there's snow that is. 
  6. Christmas markets. Aka everything Christmas in one place. Now who wouldn't get festive from this? I'm hoping to go to a Christmas market in the city closest by where I live next weekend (fingers crossed!) and I'm super excited! Christmas markets for me aren't even for buying loads, they're all about letting myself soak in all the Christmas possible before it's actually Christmas. And for consuming all the hot chocolates possible.
  7. Food. Christmas time is involves a lot of food. Of course there's the traditional family Christmas dinner, but I also like to make my food more Christmassy beforehand. I love consuming all the treats and hot chocolates possible. Going to the supermarket alone to get these things makes me feel more festive. Nothing better than getting home with a bag filled with Christmas treats. As for Christmas dinner itself, I love spending Christmas day cooking with my family and planning said dinner weeks before.
  8. Cosy nights in. Winter is THE time of year to have cosy nights in. Light a few candles, do a long pamper routine, get in your cosy pjs and slippers and under a blanket and put on your favourite movie or a read a good book, and you're bound to feel the stress fade away. Plus cosy equals Christmas.  
  9. Christmas movies and music. I like to listen to Christmas music all day long. And sing along. although I can't sing, oh well. Anyway, Christmas songs add cosiness to any scenario. When I'm not listening to Christmas music I am usually watching either Christmas movies, or doing a vlogmas marathon. Of course watching festive episodes of your favourite tv show is also a hit. 
  10. Christmas shopping. Where Christmas shopping is a huge source of stress to some, I actually enjoy it thoroughly. Nothing better than discovering all the Christmas collections and finding the perfect gift for someone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to do some Christmas shopping for herself. Nothing wrong with treating yourself to one of the many Christmas releases!
  11. Plan a Day Out. Now, if nothing of the above worked, there's always a day out. Last year my mom, my sister and me went to a city further away and went for a day at a winter fair. If money is no problem I would also love to go see some special Christmas show, or maybe even do a weekend trip away to, preferably, a place that has all the snow.
~

I'd love to know what are some things you love doing the get in the ultimate festive spirit?
I hope you all have a wonderful week ahead lovelies!

You May Also Like

0 reacties